When communicating about support from the NIGMS Institutional Development Award (IDeA) program, please follow these attribution guidelines:
- In grant award and other announcements, identify the IDeA program, not just the INBRE, COBRE or sub-program, and provide context about the program's goals along the lines of the sample below:
The University of _________ has received $XXX from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to support an Institutional Development Award (IDeA) Center of Biomedical Research Excellence. The IDeA program builds research capacities in states that historically have had low levels of NIH funding by supporting basic, clinical and translational research; faculty development; and infrastructure improvements.
- In journal articles, oral or poster presentations, news releases, news and feature articles, interviews with reporters and other communications, acknowledge the IDeA program's full or partial support of the research. The citation in scientific publications should use the following format:
Research reported in this publication was supported by an Institutional Development Award (IDeA) from the National Institute of General Medical Sciences of the National Institutes of Health under grant number P20GM12345.
- If you wish to acknowledge NIH/NIGMS funding on your Web site or other communication product, you may use wording such as:
Funded by an Institutional Development Award (IDeA) from the National Institutes of Health
Funded by an Institutional Development Award (IDeA) from the National Institute of General Medical Sciences of the National Institutes of Health
Do not use the NIH or NIGMS logo to acknowledge funding, as these logos are only to be used for material produced by NIH and its components.
- Alert Dr. Fred Taylor, director of the NIGMS IDeA program, if your institution is planning a news release or if you have other reasons to expect media coverage of IDeA-supported activities. We honor embargoes, so give as much lead time as you can—at least 2 weeks.
- Ask your institution's public information officer to contact Susan Athey of the NIGMS communications staff so that they can coordinate efforts to communicate about IDeA awards and outcomes. You may reach Ms. Athey by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 301-496-7301.